1. There are many methods of coming into Uttanasana. These range from coming down from Hasta Uttanasana, out of Padangusthasana, or following up from a backbend.
2. For now let us simply hang forward with the legs straight. Breathe in and then Breathe out to relax your head towards the feet.
3. You may keep your knees slightly bent. This will disengage your hamstring muscles and focus the stretch on the back. If you are focused more on hamstrings then step 7 will deepen you into the hamstrings.
4. If you are not able to touch the floor then simply remain hanging while taking deep breaths through your nose.
5. If you can touch the floor then try holding the toes, back of calves, or place the palms flat onto the floor space behind the legs. Be sure to maintain hand position firmly.
6. After fixing hand position take deep breaths in as you breathe out and extend your upper spine to the feet.
7. As you breathe out extend your hamstrings straighter while rotating the lower buttocks toward the ceiling. Breathe in to slowly come out of it by placing your palms together and reaching up to the ceiling as in the Sun Salutation.