Warrior 2 is a fantastic posture to promote flexibility and strength within the legs. It also instils martial artists and dancers with a strong foundation for kicks.
1. Start by standing in Tadasana. Bend your knees and place your palms flat onto the floor. The thumbs should be touching the small toes on the outside of both feet.
2. Breathe in and step far back behind you with the right foot. After stepping back rotate the right foot to a 60 degree angle towards the left heel.
3. The left knee will be touching between the left chest and shoulder. The left shin should be perpendicular to the floor with the left foot pointing straight. Simultaneously the right knee should be locked straight. This will set your foundation.
4. Then place your palms together breathe in and reach up to the sky. Breathe out and lower your arms parallel to the floor. Left arm points straight in front and right arm points straight back. This is the start of the posture.
5. Hold the spine and left shin perpendicular to the floor while the left quadricep is kept parallel to the floor. Simultaneously rotate the hips to the right. While rotating the hips maintain the left quad pointing straight forward. Do not allow your left knee to turn to the right.
6. Hold as you breathe into your nose and out your nose. When you are ready come down and switch sides.